Overview: The Basic Course of the Civilian Education System (CES) is designed for the Army civilian leader who exercises direct leadership to effectively lead and care for teams. The Basic Course is the required leader development course for all Army Civilians in grades GS–01 through GS–09 or equivalent.
- Army Civilians in permanent appointment.
- Military supervisors of Army Civilians, DOD and other Federal agency leaders, and term and temporary Army Civilians.
- Army Civilians must have a current performance rating of successful or above and be in good conduct standing.
- Employees must have successfully completed the Basic Course DL and Foundation Course if required.
- Army Non-appropriated Fund (NAF), Wage Grade (WG), Local National (LN)
Selection Priority for Resident Training
- Priority 1. Army Civilians in a permanent appointment to a supervisory position.
- Priority 2. Army Civilians in a permanent appointment to a non-supervisory position.
- Priority 3. Military supervisors of Army Civilians, DOD and other Federal agency leaders. Army Civilians in term or temporary appointments who have responsibility for leading or supervising Army Civilians. Priority 3 attendees are not centrally funded and must be funded by their organization.
Note: All prerequisites must be complete before registering for the course.
Must complete both Resident and dL to receive CEUs (11.6).
|Once you have applied through CHRTAS, follow these steps to begin your Basic Course in ALMS.
- Step 1: Go to https://www.lms.army.mil and log in using your CAC.
- Step 2: Click on the "Current Enrollments" button and your registered course lessons will be displayed with the option to launch them directly. Lessons will not be listed in order and you should sort them alphabetically. Please note you will have to repeat this sort each time you log into the ALMS to view your lessons in alphabetical order.
- Step 3: Use the sort feature at the top of the page to sort by assigned on date. Uncheck the checkbox that groups lessons by...
- Step 4: Your lessons/course may display unexpanded. Then click the Plus [+] to expand your course.
- Step 5: Notice the course will expand one level. Providing "Required Module 1" and another [+] Plus symbol. Click the [+] Plus symbol.
- Step 6: Now all lessons should be displayed in sequence. Launch the "Desk Reference" first! Save and print this lesson for reference if you have not already printed it from the CHRTAS email you received notifying you of your enrolment in the course.
- Step 7: Click the launch button to launch subsequent lessons. Note the next link for navigating to subsequent pages and additional lessons.