- CAC Home
CAC Senior Leaders
Commanding GeneralCombined Arms CenterLTG Michael LundyDeputy to the
Commanding GeneralCombined Arms Center
Command Sergeant MajorCombined Arms CenterCSM Eric C. DostieDeputy
Commanding GeneralCAC ARNGBG Jerry F. Prochaska
Chief of StaffCombined Arms CenterCOL Tom BolenCommand Chief Warrant OfficerCombined Arms CenterCW5 Richard R. Kunz Jr.
ProvostArmy UniversityBG Steve MaranianDeputy
Commanding GeneralCAC - TrainingMG Maria R. GervaisDirectorMission Command Center
of ExcellenceMG Douglas C. Crissman
- CAC Senior Leaders
CAC Subordinate Organizations
The Army University (Army U)
Combined Arms Center - Training (CAC-T)
- Army Training Network
- Army Training Help Desk
- Integrated Training Environment Portal
- Contact Us
- Army Training Support Center (ATSC)
- Combat Training Center Directorate (CTCD)
- Mission Command Training Program (MCTP)
- National Simulation Center (NSC)
- TRADOC Capability Manager - Integrated Training Environment (TCM ITE)
- Training Management Directorate (TMD)
- News Archive
Mission Command Center of Excellence (MCCoE)
- News Archive
- Mission Command Resources
- Contact Us
- Combined Arms Doctrine Directorate (CADD)
- Center for Army Profession and Leadership (CAPL)
- Mission Command Network Integration (MCNI)
- Army Joint Support Team (AJST)
- Directorate of Training (DOT)
Force Modernization Proponent Center (FMPC)
- TRADOC Capability Manager Mission Command/Command Posts
- Defense Language Institute (DLI)
- The Army University (Army U)
Key Partner and Supporting Units
- » Fort Leavenworth Garrison
- » Presidio of Monterey Garrison
- » 902d Military Intelligence Group
- » Munson Army Health Center (MAHC)
- » Joint Center for International Security Force Assistance (JCISFA)
- » U.S. Disciplinary Barracks
- Mission Command Capability Development Integration Directorate (CDID)
- » Community Health Promotion Council (CHPC)
- » UFMCS - Red Teaming
- Training & Doctrine Command (TRADOC)
- 15th MP Brigade
- Centers of Excellence
- Branch Schools
Command and General Staff College (CGSC)
- Faculty Directory
- Mission, Vision, Priorities, Principles, & College-level Learning Outcomes
Command and General Staff School (CGSS)
- School of Advanced Military Studies (SAMS)
- School for Command Preparation (SCP)
- CGSC Registrar
- Department of Logistics and Resource Operations (DLRO)
- Department of Command and Leadership (DCL)
- Master of Military Art and Science (MMAS) Degree
- Guest Speaker Request
- CGSC News Archive
- Contact CGSC
Army Management Staff College (AMSC)
- About AMSC
- Accreditation Overview
- University Partnerships
- Registration Information
- Administrative Information
- AMSC Podcast
- AMSC News Archive
- Get Help
Warrant Officer Career College (WOCC)
- Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC)
- SHARP Academy
- U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy (USASMA)
- Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC)
- Command and General Staff College (CGSC)
- CAC HQ
Products & Resources
- Army EAB Concept
- Army University Press Books
- Combat Studies Institute (CSI) Publications
- Military Review
- NCO Journal
- Journal of Military Learning
- Force 2025 and Beyond Human Dimension Publications
Combined Arms Research Library (CARL) Collections
- World War II Operational Documents
- School of Advanced Military Studies Monographs
- Master of Military Art and Science Theses
- Fort Leavenworth History
- Military History, 1900-1939
- General Military History
- Combat Studies Institute
- Operational Leadership Experiences
- Obsolete Military Manuals
- CGSC Student Papers, 1930-1936
- Military Review
- Command and General Staff College Foundation
- CGSC Student Papers, Post WWII
- The Nafziger Collection of Orders of Battle
- USASMA Digital Library
- Frontier Army Museum
- Bruce C. Clarke Library Digital Repository
- Center for Army Lessons Learned Repository
- US Army Combined Arms Center Repository
- Focus Areas
Distance Education FAQs
- Who is a distant learner?
- How do I access CARL's resources?
- How do I find out what the library owns?
- How can I find magazine and journal articles?
- How do I get a "14 digit account number"?
- How can I get full text resources?
- What if I need help with my research?
- The link to my course reading doesn’t work. What do I do?
- How do I cite my sources for my paper?
Those students who are enrolled in the Department of Distance Education (DDE) DL or TASS courses or who attend classes at the CGSC Satellite campuses are considered distant learners supported by the Ike Skelton Combined Arms Research Library (CARL). They have access to CARL’s online resources, such as journal article databases, ebooks, and language instruction.
Distant students can access these online resources through Blackboard by going to the “Master Library and CGSC Resources” page. There are PINs available there that serve the same purpose as a library account number for database access, as well as a link to our database page.
The Library’s Online Catalog is used to find out what print, microform, and audiovisual materials are owned by the CARL, as well as ebooks. Distant learners have direct access only to CARL’s online holdings, and must go through a local library to request loan of physical items.
Summon is another possibility; it searches CARL’s databases and other digital resources as well as the catalog. However, as it searches over 300 million items, it is important to use search refinements to narrow results.
CARL subscribes to several fulltext article databases. Two of our major ones, EBSCOHost and ProQuest, are listed on the databases page as "Articles-" Use these if you are looking for articles on a given topic. If you have a specific citation, use the Journal Search to see if the journal is full text in one our databases.
Distant learners can use the PINs found on Blackboard (see "How do I access CARL’s resources?"). Resident students and members of the Ft Leavenworth community can set up their accounts in person at the Library Circulation Desk. We are not able to provide accounts to persons who do not fall into one of these categories.
Most of the databases CARL subscribes to are largely full text. Our major journal article databases allow you to limit a search to full text only. Summon search can also be restricted to full text.
CARL has access to two major collections of fulltext ebooks. Ebrary and EBSCO. You can search these collections as a whole from the database page, or find individual titles in our Catalog.
CARL’s own Digital Library contains a variety of full text items, such as World War II Operational Documents and Obsolete Military Manuals. These items are available to the public.
Use our Ask-a-Librarian service to contact one of CARL’s Reference Librarians. Be sure to let us know you’re a distant learner.
You can also call 913-758-3053 during our Open Hours to speak with a librarian.
Sometimes the proxied link to an article breaks, and you are asked to log in. If this happens you can go to the database from our Databases page, use the PIN you got from Blackboard, and search for the article by putting the title in quotation marks. Feel free to contact CARL staff for assistance as well (see "What if I need help with my research?").
ST22-2, Leader Communication provides guidance for citing a variety of sources. It can be found in the Master Library on Blackboard.