Awards and Decorations (Revised January 2005)
CGSC Staff & Faculty Bulletin
Section IV. INTERNATIONAL MILITARY STUDENTS' SPONSORSHIP RECOGNITION PROGRAM
This section contains policies and prescribes administrative procedures for public recognition of sponsors of the CGSC international military students.
REFERENCE AR 12-15, Joint Security Assistance Training (JSAT).
The procedures contained in this section are for use by personnel assigned to the International Military Student Division (IMSD), Command and General Staff School (CGSS), in annual recognition of the Kansas City area civilian, Leavenworth/Lansing area civilian, and Fort Leavenworth military or civilian sponsors of international military students (IMS).
Sponsors are volunteers who befriend and assist IMSs and their families during their stay in Kansas. Sponsors provide a warm welcome, a measure of home hospitality, and exposure to American family and community life. Sponsorship is a key component of the CGSC Department of Defense (DoD) Field Studies Program (FSP), having the objective of providing students a functional understanding of internationally recognized human rights and the American democratic way of life. The FSP is an integral part of the IMS's total training program and is of importance second only to the military objectives for which the IMS is in training. This sponsorship recognition program acknowledges the invaluable service of sponsors, and provides a tangible means for CGSC to thank them for their assistance.
CRITERIA FOR SPONSORSHIP RECOGNITION
- Recognition is given to all sponsors who have served in the IMSD sponsorship program for 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years continuously. Sponsors who resume service after a break of 1 or more years may have their previous years counted if the service can be verified. Sponsors can change from one sponsor organization to another (Kansas City area, Leavenworth/Lansing area, Fort Leavenworth), and their service years can be bridged as continuous if the service can be verified. If a sponsor serves more than one IMS in a single year, the year is still counted as 1 year. Sponsors may serve to a maximum of 50 years.
- All sponsors (both members of a couple) who have successfully sponsored for 1 year will receive a sponsor lapel pin. Pins are awarded en masse at the Sponsor Recognition Ceremony.
- All sponsors who have sponsored for 5 years will receive a small wood plaque (approximately 5" x 7") with the CGSC crest and an engraved brass plate (1 award per family).
- All sponsors who have sponsored for 10 years will receive a medium wood plaque (approximately 9" x 12") with the CGSC crest, an engraved brass plate (1 award per family).
- All sponsors who have sponsored for 15 years will receive a large wood plaque (approximately 10" x 13") with the CGSC crest, an engraved brass plate (1 award per family).
- All sponsors who have sponsored for 20 years will receive a modestly framed Department of the Army Certificate of Appreciation for Patriotic Civilian Service signed by the Commandant (1 award per family).
- All sponsors who have sponsored for 25 years will receive a Fort Leavenworth Lamp Certificate signed by the Commandant and Deputy Commandant and modestly framed; and a Lamp print with an appropriately engraved plate (1 award per family). The Director, CGSS, attests to the awarding of the Certificate.
- All sponsors who have sponsored for 30 years will receive the Commander's Award for Public Service, to be signed by the Commandant and modestly framed (1 award per family).
- All families who have sponsored for 40 years will have their framed photograph displayed in the International Hall of Fame.
- Recognition of Sponsors Emeritus. The sponsor organization coordinators may nominate individuals for the Emeritus category if they have served for at least 15 years and because of age or health are no longer able to participate actively as sponsors. Sponsors Emeritus will receive a large wood plaque (approximately 12" x 16") with the CGSC crest, an engraved brass plate, and an International Military Student Badge affixed. Sponsors Emeritus are eligible to receive invitations to select sponsor events, as determined by the IMSD Chief in conjunction with the sponsor coordinators. Exceptions to this policy may be made in rare circumstances.
- Coordinate with the sponsor organizations (Kansas City area, Leavenworth/Lansing area, Fort Leavenworth) to obtain up-to-date rosters annually of all sponsors. Ensure rosters indicate the length of service of each sponsor.
- Ensure, in cooperation with the sponsor organizations, an accurate listing of sponsors eligible for public recognition annually.
- Coordinate with the Public Affairs Office to assure media coverage of the Sponsor Recognition Ceremony.
- Host the Sponsor Recognition Ceremony and Reception at an appropriate location approximately 2 to 3 weeks before CGSC graduation.
- Invite the Commandant and/or Deputy Commandant to present sponsor awards at the Sponsor Recognition Ceremony.
- Prepare, order, purchase, and/or obtain all sponsor awards as described in this Section, coordinating as necessary with CGSC G-1, CPAC, and CAC, per the appropriate policies and procedures for awards outlined in this chapter.
- Costs for Sponsorship Recognition are included in the annual CGSC Department of Defense Field Studies Program budget.