We do not submit ILL requests for media (DVDs, Audio Books, etc.), textbooks, or materials that are needed for an extended period of time (such as a semester-long course).
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service which helps students, faculty and staff obtain materials that are unavailable in the Ike Skelton Combined Arms Research Library.
Requesting an Interlibrary Loan
Check the CARL's online catalog to see if we have the item you are looking for. Once you check the catalog, you can request it through our Interlibrary Loan service.
In order to request an Interlibrary Loan, you need to have a valid library card.
To place a request online:
- Visit WorldCat. If you are at home, enter your 14-digit library barcode number when prompted.
- Search for the item you want to request using the one of the search fields.
- From the results list, select the record of the item by clicking on the title.
- Click on the ILL icon towards the top left of the page
- Enter your contact information, library barcode number, and status in the required fields
- Click Submit to submit your ILL request.
To place a request at the library:
- Fill out the CARL Interlibrary Loan Request Form.
- Submit the form to the Reference desk: Mon-Thurs 7am-7pm, Fri 7am-4:30pm, or Saturday/Sunday 10am-5pm.
We do not submit ILL requests for media (DVDs, Audio Books, etc.), textbooks, or materials that are needed for an extended period of time (such as a semester-long course). You may submit up to 15 ILL requests per month, up to 5 out at one time. Please prioritize your requests in order of importance.
We will notify you when:
- the item has arrived. You will receive an email or phone call.
- additional information is needed regarding your request.
- the request has been cancelled because we are unable to fulfill that type of request or because no libraries were able to send the item.
Interlibrary Loan FAQs
You must be a CARL account holder to submit an ILL request. There is no charge for the ILL service. Once submitted, items can take between 1 and 4 weeks to get here, depending upon location and availability. To check the status of your request or to request a renewal, please call the ILL Office at 913-758-3017. Renewals are approved or denied by the lending library, so please request a renewal prior to your item’s due date. When you are finished with your ILL, please return the book to the Circulation desk and do not place it in a book return bin.
For any additional questions or assistance, please call the Interlibrary Loan Office at 913-758-3017 or click here.