Combined Arms Research Library
Infantry and Cavalry School Lectures 1898-1910
As part of its ongoing preservation efforts, the Combined Arms Research Library has digitized lectures given at the School for Infantry and Cavalry (now the Command and General Staff College) from 1898-1910. The lectures are interesting statements of Army doctrine in the time frame before World War I. Some of the lectures were given by young Captains and Majors who later became better known, including Douglas MacArthur and William "Billy" Mitchell. They are listed below by topic.
These files are free to the public, but republication should acknowledge the Combined Arms Research Library.
- Artillery in Attack by Captain Robert H.C. Kelton, December 5th, 1904.
- Artillery in Defense by Captain Oliver L. Spaulding, Jr., December 14th, 1904
- Fire Control and Direction for Coast Artillery by Captain Clint C. Hearn, 1907.
- New Field Artillery Materiel, Its Characteristics and Powers by Captain Oliver L. Spaulding, Jr. September 5-6 1905.
- Tactics of Field Artillery by Captain Oliver L.
Spaulding Jr., Nov. 26, 1905.
- Characteristics of the Three Arms by CPT Tenney Ross, December 12, 1904.
- Field Maneuvers, no date.
- Lectures on Patrols, Advance Guards and Outposts, by MAJ John F. Morrison, 1910.
- The Maneuver and the Umpire by MAJ Eben Swift, June 27, 1906.
- Organization of the Line and Special Troops, Proportion of the Different Arms by CPT John P. Ryan, November 7th, 1904.
- Preparation for Defence by CPT William Glassford, July 1909.
- Provisional Instructions for Maneuvers by MAJ Daniel H. Boughton, June 20, 1908.
- The Three Arms Combined in Attack by CPT R. Foster Walton, December 7th, 1904.
- The Three Arms Combined in Defense by CPT Herbert J. Brees, December 8, 1904.
May 28, 2015