About CAC   |   CAC Blog   |   CAC Publications   |   CAC Intranet    Search  





About the Library
View My Account
Ask a Librarian

Search Our Online and Print Collections

Library Hours
Monday - Thursday: 0700-1900
Friday: 0700-1630
Saturday & Sunday: 1000-1700
Closed: Federal Holidays

Combined Arms Research Library

Frequently Asked Questions

Click Here for Distance Education FAQs.

Who can use the library?

Anyone is welcome to use the CARL collections in-house. Some restrictions apply to checking material out of the library. Please refer to our library policies page. If you are a distance education student, please check our Distance Education FAQs at /cac2/cgsc/carl/information/distance.asp

Back to top

Where is the Combined Arms Research Library?

The library is located on the historic Army post of Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The library overlooks picturesque Smith Lake, where migratory waterfowl winter each year, and commands a beautiful view of the Buffalo Soldiers Monument. The address is:

  • Combined Arms Research Library
  • Eisenhower Hall
  • 250 Gibbons Ave
  • Fort Leavenworth, KS 66027-7800

Back to top

What type of books or materials does your library have?

In addition to being the academic library for the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, the CARL is also the public library for Fort Leavenworth. The CARL provides materials and services to the Fort Leavenworth community residents to support their informational, educational, professional, and recreational needs.

Back to top

How long do materials check out?

Please refer to our library policies.

Back to top

Is your library catalog available over the internet?

Yes. The catalog is available at: CARL Catalog.

Back to top

When is the library open?

Please refer to the library hours of operation and calendar.

Back to top

Can we renew books by phone?

No, materials must be renewed in person or online by using your library card. For a tutorial, visit our Renew page.

Back to top

How do I look up a MMAS Thesis or SAMS Monograph done by a CGSC student?

The digits of unclassified thesis or monographs are available in CARL's digital library at http://cdm16040.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/. If you do not see an item you are looking for contact the CARL at 913-758-3138.

The papers may also be searched through the Defence Technical Information Center (DTIC) Scientific and Technical Information Network (STINET) database at http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/search/tr/str/guided-tr.html.

Back to top

How can I locate my relative's military personnel records?

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the official repository for records of discharged military personnel. Paper copies of military service and pension records held may be ordered from the facility which holds the records, either the National Archives in Washington, DC or the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. Please see this website for further information: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/.

The report Military Service Records and Unit Histories: A Guide to Locating Sources from the Congressional Research Services provides information on locating military unit histories and individual service records of discharged, retired, and deceased military personnel. It includes contact information for military history centers, websites for additional sources of research, and a bibliography of other publications. For the report go to: http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/RS21282_20091216.pdf.

The CARL also has some other resources that may assist in locating military service information. Please call the CARL at 913-758-3138 for more information.

Back to top

Where can I find a history of the unit I served in?

CARL has some military unit histories (check the CARL Catalog). To search for military unit histories on other web sites try the following:

  • The Center of Military History (CMH) at http://www.history.army.mil/ enlists the help of Army historians which maintain the organizational history of Army units, allowing the Center to provide units of the Regular Army, the Army National Guard, and the Army Reserve with certificates of their lineage and honors and other historical material concerning their organizations. The Center also determines the official designations for Army units and works with the Army Staff during force reorganizations to preserve units with significant histories, as well as unit properties and related historical artifacts.
  • The Military History Institute (a branch of the Army Heritage and Education Center) is a library, archive and research facility that deals in the main with military history and strategic studies. Since its inception in 1967, the institute has collected, preserved and made available for study documents and materials pertinent to the history of the U.S. Army.
  • Neither the library nor the two organizations above maintain personnel records or unit operational records. Personnel records are maintained at National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, while operational records are maintained at the National Archives and Records Administration in the DC area.

Back to top

How do I get materials from other libraries?

CARL participates in interlibrary loan. The CARL also lends to other libraries. Call or stop by to talk with a reference librarian for assistance. 913-758-3053 or visit the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) page.

Back to top

Do you have language tapes?

Yes, to find books or tapes do a subject search in our Online Catalog

The library also subscribes to Mango Languages online and has a limited number of seats in Rosetta Stone for our patrons. Please contact the Reference Staff at 913-758-3053 for more information.

Back to top

Do you have microfiche/microfilm reader/printers?


Back to top

Do you have a FAX available for use?

No. But there is a FAX available at the customer service area at the Ft. Leavenworth Post Exchange, 330 Kansas Ave, Bldg 700.

Back to top

Do you have tax forms in the Library?

No. The CARL does not receive Federal or State Tax Forms. Federal and State Tax Forms are available on the Internet at the following links:
Federal Tax Forms  --  Kansas Tax Forms  --  Missouri Tax Forms  --  Other State Tax Forms

Back to top

Do you have used car price guides or Consumer Reports?

Yes. The NADA Car Price Guides and Consumer Reports are filed in the periodical section of the library.

Back to top

What if I fail to return an item that I checked out?

In accordance with AR 735--17, Accounting for Library Materials, failure to respond to recall notices or overdue notices within the time limits specified and/or failure to pay for materials lost by the borrower may result in suspension of library privileges to include borrowing of further materials, use of databases and other services. Library privileges are restored after recalled or overdue items are returned or restitution is made for lost items.

Back to top

What do I need to do if I have lost or damaged library material?

The borrower is responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged Library materials. Please do not attempt to repair the material. Please contact the Circulation Department via email, stop by the library or call 913-758-3005 before you purchase a replacement for the lost or damaged item.

Back to top

Before checking out library materials

Bring prior damage to the attention of the check out desk as soon as noticed to avoid being charged:

  • Missing pages or inserts (such as disks)
  • Broken spine
  • Dried water stains
  • Pen or highlighter marks
  • Torn pages

Back to top

Can I keep the damaged book after paying for it, and what happens to the damaged book?

You are purchasing a replacement for the damaged book. You are not buying a damaged book. Damaged items remain U.S. government property and by regulation must be disposed of in the same way as other items withdrawn from the collection.

Back to top


Last Reviewed: May 28, 2015

          |   Privacy and Security Notice   |     |   Accessibility Help   |   External Link Disclaimer   |   No Fear Act   |
|   U.S. Army   |   Tradoc   TRADOC   |   iSALUTE   | Ft. Leavenworth   |   Site Map   |   FOIA   |   USA.GOV   |   This is an official U.S. Army Site   |