About CAC   |   CAC Blog   |   CAC Publications   |   CAC Intranet    Search  





About the Library
View My Account
Ask a Librarian

Search Our Online and Print Collections

Library Hours
Monday - Thursday: 0700-1900
Friday: 0700-1630
Saturday & Sunday: 1000-1700
Closed: Federal Holidays

Combined Arms Research Library

Faculty Services

General Research Assistance

The Library’s reference staff consists of ten librarians who provide research assistance at the main Reference Desk, the government document, and the archives in the CARL. All reference librarians hold masters degrees in library science. Faculty members may telephone the CARL Reference Desk, 758-3053 for immediate assistance with research. Click on Ask-A-Librarian for general assistance or if you would like a more in-depth assistance with a research project, office consultations with reference librarians are available. To make an appointment for a research consultation, contact the main Reference Desk, 758-3058.

  • Borrowing Library
  • Course
  • Copyright
  • Electronic Resources
    and Services
  • Find a book, article,
    or document
  • Request Instruction
    for your class

Borrowing Library Materials

Faculty Loan Periods:

  • Faculty is limited to 100 items from the general collection. The check out period for these items is 3 months.
  • All users (except TDY personnel) are limited to 50 items from the recreational collections. The check out period for these items is 2 weeks.

 Due Dates:

  • Full circulating materials are due on its due date and are renewable if no other patron has put a HOLD or RECALL on the material.
  • Media materials are due 5 days after check-out and government documents are due 2 weeks after check-out and are renewable if no other patron has put a HOLD or RECALL on the material.
  • Reserve materials are due according to their respective loan periods and are NOT renewable due to their high use nature. Designated loan periods for reserve items are - 2 hours/cannot leave Library; 1 day; 3 day; 8 day.

Fines: Although NO overdue fines are charged, faculty is expected to return or renew Library materials by their due date. Faculty will be charged a replacement fee for damaged or lost books.

Blocking of Borrowing Privileges:

  • Faculty may be blocked from borrowing Library materials for any one of the following reasons:
  • The maximum check-out limit of 100 items has been reached.
  • Any previously checked out items, including interlibrary loan materials, are overdue.
  • A recall of an item is ignored.
  • Charges for materials borrowed through ILL are not paid or these items are overdue.

Recalls: Items checked out to faculty or staff may be recalled by any other patron after the faculty/staff member has had the item checked out for 2 weeks (books), or at least 7 days (government documents).

Renewals: Faculty may renew materials, except for Reserve materials, at least once unless the item is overdue, on hold, has been recalled for another patron, or the library account is blocked. Materials may be renewed at the circulation desk or through the library's catalog. To renew books through the Library Catalog you must log into My Account.

Missing, Recalled, and Seriously Overdue Items: To keep in accordance with AR 735-17, Accounting for Library Materials, failure to respond to recall notices or overdue notices within the time limits specified and/or failure to pay for materials lost by the borrower may result in suspension of library privileges to include borrowing of further materials, use of databases and other services. Library privileges are restored after recalled or overdue items are returned or payment is made for lost items.

Course Reserves

The CARL provides reserves support for all CGSC courses. Support includes processing requests from faculty and locating or purchasing materials. 


Submit your requests here. Online requests require a valid CAC card, or you can fill out a paper request  here then print and bring by the circulation desk or email it email us at usarmy.leavenworth.tradoc.mbx.cgsc-carl-acquisitions@mail.mil. 

If you do not possess a CAC card stop by the circulation desk for a paper form.

Reserves Guidelines: It is the responsibility of faculty to notify the circulation supervisor (758-3006) for a reserve request with a reasonable amount of time for the staff to retrieve resources for reserve from the stacks. Requests must be submitted at least 30 days before the start of the course. More lead time must be allowed if materials need to be ordered. Instructors will be contacted if there is a problem setting up the reserve. If you have any questions, please call 758-3006.

The reserve collection should in most cases contain a limited number of items for each course. The number will vary with course demands, but your aim should be to reduce the quantity of Reserves to the minimum number compatible with your course objectives.

The Reserve collection should house only aptly chosen titles. These should be materials that you require your class to use. Optional readings, even if highly recommended, should remain in the circulating collection.

The faculty determines the restrictions, if any, of the books and other materials that are placed on reserve under the following categories:

  • In-library use only: must be used in the library with a 2-hour time limit.
  • Three day: due by closing time on the day indicated.
  • Copies of current periodicals and reference works are not placed on reserve.
  • Placing copies of relevant articles on reserve: Copies must be limited to a single article from a periodical or newspaper; a single chapter from a book; a chart or illustration; a short story, short essay; or other small parts of a work.
  • In order to place materials on reserve for a period greater than one semester for the same course, instructors must obtain permission from the copyright holder.
  • Copies must be ones a faculty member or the CARL has obtained lawfully by purchase, license, fair use, interlibrary loan, etc.

The following items may NOT be placed on Course Reserve:

  • Interlibrary Loan materials
  • Reference Books
  • Bound Journals or Single Issues of Periodicals
  • Microfilm

Please Note:

  • It is best to submit course reserve requests several weeks before the beginning of each semester. Lists are processed in order by date of receipt.
  • Please keep in mind that all items will not be immediately available for use in the reserves collection. It may take several weeks to receive books that must be ordered or recalled from patrons. For items readily available in the collection, please allow 3-5 working days processing time during peak reserve season.
  • Materials may be added throughout the semester.


CARL will help faculty, staff and CAC & Fort Leavenworth personnel obtain copyright permissions. The service includes research, correspondence, and preparation of purchase requests and maintenance of files as required by Army regulation and Title 17, US Code. To initiate a copyright permission request, fill out the online COPYRIGHT RELEASE REQUEST FORM (available via CAC log in), come to the copyright office (Room 118 - CARL), or send it to Copyright Services at the Combined Arms Research Library - 250 Gibbons Ave - Ft. Leavenworth - KS 66027-7800. Include a copy of the original material to be reprinted which will be returned to you with the reprint permission. Please allow as much time as possible for the process of obtaining reprint permission. Allow at least 6 - 8 weeks for a written response. Please see CGSC Bulletin No. 18, "REPRODUCTION OR CLASSROOM USE OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL" or for additional information please call 913-758-3018.

Electronic Resources and Services

Reference librarians can provide instruction and assistance in using Horizon, the online catalog of the Combined Arms Research Library, and the Search Resources link, which provides access to a wide array of online periodical indexes, e-journals, data sources, e-books and more. The Reference staff can help identify materials that are not available in the Library by searching bibliographic databases containing the holdings of libraries across the country.

Faculty members are encouraged to discuss online research questions with a reference librarian, who can provide search strategy advice or conduct the search. For advice on the best electronic resources available for your topic, or to request an online search or search strategy advice, call the CARL Reference Desk at 758-3058 or 758-3060.

Database Searching
The Reference department offers faculty members individual sessions to introduce new Library resources or to refresh research skills. To request a session in researching databases or a refresher, contact the Main Reference desk, 758-3058. To request a session in government document resources call the Government documents Reference Services, 758-3171.

Find a book, article or document

An extremely efficient and highly effective strategy when beginning a research project is to use the CARL online catalog to quickly locate potentially useful materials contained in our library's collection.

Using your CARL PIN numbers (the 14 digit code on the back of your library card) to login to your library account will allow you to see what you've checked out, to renew items, and to place currently unavailable items on hold. To obtain a library card you need to visit the circulation desk on the first floor of the library.

Help: Please contact the Main Reference desk, 758-3053, located on the first floor of the Combined Arms Research Library with any questions.


Information on other selected catalogs

Worldcat: WorldCat is the world's largest network of library content and services. Use WorldCat to verify citations of items not found in the CARL Catalog, to find a local library which has an item, or to provide accurate citations for interlibrary loan requests.

The Library of Congress Catalog: The Library of Congress Online Catalog contains approximately 14 million records representing books, serials, computer files, manuscripts, cartographic materials, music, sound recordings, and visual materials. The Catalog also displays searching aids for users, such as cross-references and scope notes.

Catalog of U.S. Government Publications: The Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (CGP) is the finding tool for electronic and print publications from the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of the U.S. government. These publications make up the National Bibliography of U.S. Government Publications. The CGP contains descriptive records for historical and current publications and provides direct links to those that are available online.

Defense Technical Information Center STINET Database: The database includes theses, monographs, and papers, produced by the Army War College, Air War College, Air Command and Staff College, SAS, Naval War College, Naval Post Graduate School, NDU Schools, etc., some After Action Reports & Lessons Learned from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and Final Reports produced by DOD and Government Agencies. The full text of these reports may be stored in CARL, and if not, can be ordered from DTIC.

CARL's Digital Library: is largely composed of digital versions of paper documents from the Combined Arms Research Library collections. For example, you can find all unclassified CGSC MMAS theses and SAMS monographs.

Request Research Instruction for your classes

You can arrange for an in-class presentation tailored to a course, assignment, or the specific research needs of students. Sessions can be as brief as 10-15 minutes, and can be either general ("How to search ProQuest") or specific ("Finding information for a country brief"). Instruction is most effective when students have an assignment or research project, and have selected their topics or focus. Contact reference desk 758-3053


Last Reviewed: May 2, 2014

          |   Privacy and Security Notice   |     |   Accessibility Help   |   External Link Disclaimer   |   No Fear Act   |
|   U.S. Army   |   Tradoc   TRADOC   |   iSALUTE   | Ft. Leavenworth   |   Site Map   |   FOIA   |   USA.GOV   |   This is an official U.S. Army Site   |